Answers to Some Important Questions Asked About Organic Foods

Many people are growing more interested in searching for different ways to keep themselves healthy. They are willing to change their current lifestyle to a healthier one, which for some people can mean trying organic foods.

Organic foods are not for everybody. Unfortunately, they are dearer and for anyone on a fixed budget this can be a problem.

Below are FAQs about organic foods that may help you to decide whether to start eating organic foods or not:

1. What is the meaning of organic, relating to food?

Organic food means they do not contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and are grown without artificial pesticides, fertilisers or any chemicals. There is some variation to the standards of organic rules in different countries, because they have the freedom to set their own regulations and guidelines. Generally to be sanctioned as organic, the land must be tested free from and all banned chemicals every year for 3 consecutive years or more before use.

2. What are genetically modified organisms?

Many people believe that GMOs have harmful effects mainly because it alters the natural genetic composition of the food source. Thus, there are many countries that have already banned the use of this on their farms.

3. Are pesticides used by organic food farmers?

Not artificial pesticides. They are not permitted. Organic farmers tend to make use of other means of keeping insects off their crops instead.

4. How will you know if it is organic?

Organic products are tagged or labelled with an organic seal. This seal means that the product is certified as 95% organic; the other 5% is not confirmed because of the logistics of testing 100% of everything at that time. There are other options to take into account like packaging, which may have an effect on the food.

Other products can have a lesser percentage of organic ingredients, especially products like toiletries which cannot be presented as organic because of some ingredients which cannot be classed as organic even though they are not chemical based. Such products can still have a notice on the product stating the percentage of organic ingredients. All the other non-organic ingredients must be declared on the product.

5. What sort of organic products are there on the market today?

Here are a few examples:

- Fresh fruit and vegetables

- Baby food

- pet food

- Bread, pasta, and rice

- Canned soups

- Cheese

- Chocolate

- Clothes

- Juices, soda, milk, and wine

- Meat

- Potato chips

- Sanitary napkins/tampons

- Skin care products, make-up, shampoo

- Spices

- Vitamins/food supplements